Vision: Iowa is the “State of Choice” for veterans and transitioning service members for employment, education and/or continued service; and service members are valued in communities which are welcoming, affordable, safe and family-friendly.
Mission: Provide veterans and transitioning service members and their families with opportunities and benefits for a successful transition in Iowa — a place to call home.
Founded in 1837, Clinton County was named after DeWitt Clinton, the seventh governor of New York. Clinton provides a variety of quality cultural options. The county contains one of the smallest cities in the U.S. to support a full, professional symphony orchestra that performs classical concerts throughout the year. Clinton is home to the NelsonCorp Wealth Management Field, a stadium primarily used for baseball and is home to a minor league baseball team from the Midwest League. Clinton is also home to the Area Showboat Theatre, a summer stock professional theatre. Eagle Point Park is a hidden gem within the county and just off Great River Road is the Sawmill Museum, an American Lumber Saga through interactive exhibits and family fun activities.
County service offices assist veterans with compensation/pensions, medical care, military records, grave markers, and veteran home loans. Some counties may also have dedicated funds to assist with temporary shelter/utilities, food/health supplies, medical/dental, job placement, counseling, and transportation. To learn more, visit the County Veterans Office page and click on the county of residence. The Iowa Department of Veterans Affairs, with the support of citizens, recognizes and honors Iowa’s veterans and their families by providing the highest quality programs, services, and benefits. Each of Iowa’s 99 counties has a Commissioner of Veterans Affairs and a county director.
Contact: Ed Staszewski / 563-242-1151
Clinton County Veteran Incentives
- Reimbursement of expenses up to $275 per visit to interview with a business in Clinton County.
- A one-time home purchase closing cost reimbursement of up to $1,500 for a home located in Clinton County.
- A first-year waiver of the Clinton County Business License fee for a veteran opening a business.
Home Base Iowa Statewide Veteran Incentives
The Home Base Iowa Act positions Iowa as a leader in respect, support and employment of veterans through a public-private partnership. The Iowa Legislature passed the Act in a broad bi-partisan manner and then-Governor Terry E. Branstad signed it into law on Memorial Day, 2014. The Act contains the following incentives:
- Military Pensions exempt from state income tax
- Up to $7,500 toward the purchase of a home
- Permissive veteran preference in employment
- Automatic in-state tuition at state universities and community colleges for qualified veterans and their dependents
- Search/view Iowa businesses committed to hiring veterans